Roy ~ A Consideration in Comics
20 pages. A5 newsprint.
£2.50 +50p p&p
- Roy Lichtenstein became (in)famous for his comic paintings ~ enlarging crudely modified comics panels to wall sized paintings and making millions of dollars in the process.
- Tate Modern’s 2013 retrospective re-opened the controversy surrounding his unacknowledged use of comic artists’ work and this pamphlet wittily examines the process of ‘appropriation’ in fine art by redrawing images in comic form.
- Part historical consideration, part satire, Roy is a monochrome comic that plays with the appropriations of Lichtenstein by reworking his paintings back into newsprint comic form and commenting on his work.
- Roy is intended to start conversations and amuse the comics-literate.
- For those wanting more, but not wanting to buy the pamphlet there’s a loooong annotated blog pointing out all the references etc here
overseas postage on request